Associate Vice President; Security, Public Safety and Logistics
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Relocation: Yes; within the US
About Our Client
One of the world’s great gardens, Longwood’s story is one of legacy, innovation, and stewardship. Read more about Longwood Gardens below.
Longwood Gardens has retained Security Management Resources to conduct a national search for an Associate Vice President who will provide strategic leadership for Longwood’s Public Safety and Logistics division.
The individual selected for this position will be charged with driving innovative solutions and practices that meet the evolving safety and logistics needs of Longwood Gardens as they continue to grow and expand the experiences they offer to their guests. The ideal candidate will bring the latest best practices to bear that ensure the safety and security of Longwood’s guests, staff, volunteers, and students, while preserving the welcoming and peaceful guest experience.
– Provides full leadership for all Public Safety and Logistics Division services and activities.
– Manages the development and implementation of divisional goals, objectives, and priorities.
– Partners with internal stakeholders to drive innovative practices.
– Develops and manages capital and expense security budgets.
– Fosters invaluable relationships with law enforcement, public safety, and government agencies.
Resiliency and Incident Response
– Identifies significant risks and develops enterprise-wide processes to reduce and mitigate harm.
– Ensures sound response to criminal economic loss, threats, emergencies and property or environmental crimes.
Security and Technology
– Collaborates with information security teams to ensure best-in-class technology solutions.
– Protects people, property, and facilities through integration of technology programs and processes.
– Develops intelligence related to internal and external threats to organizational operations.
– Briefs executive leadership.
– Develops security and safety protection protocols for events hosted onsite or supported remotely.
– Fosters awareness of security related concerns through development and delivery of education initiatives.
– Ensures protection of staff and guests.
– Develops innovative processes to protect tangible and intangible assets.
– Implements efficiency in site security programs and processes across multiple locations.
- An academic degree in an area relevant to the position, with a commitment to professional development for direct reports, others, and yourself.
- Operational expertise derived from experience in both public and private sector employment.
- A history of embracing innovative solutions to achieve goals with an elevated level of accomplishment.
- Experience growing and evolving a world-class security and logistics program, preferably in support of a cultural, arts, or hospitality environment.
- An experienced leader with strong command skills who enjoys leading and mentoring others.
- Motivated to create an inclusive work environment in which people succeed and do their best work.
- An innovative creator skilled at development and management of solutions based on critical analysis.
- Action oriented with strong planning and process management skills and the ability to set goals and collaborate with resources to achieve objectives efficiently and effectively.
- Fiscally responsible with a history of sound budget management.
- An exceptional communicator who can connect and articulate a vision and goals to all levels of the organization.
- Effective influencer in a variety of presentation settings.
- Dedicated to meeting the expectations of internal and external customers while earning their trust and respect.
About Longwood Gardens
One of the world’s great gardens, Longwood’s story is one of legacy, innovation, stewardship, and community. The Gardens are a living expression of all that its founder, Pierre S. du Pont, found inspiring, meaningful, and beautiful. From the intricate fountain systems and meticulous gardens to the architectural grandeur and generous hospitality, the experience alone is unparalleled. Yet, what is most surprising to its millions of guests annually is Longwood’s decades-long commitment to research, conservation, and education – from scholarly contributions and native species conservation to fully subsidized professional horticulture training and a plethora of classes spanning hundreds of topics.
With more than 1.6 million visitors per year and growing, Longwood Gardens is the most visited paid public garden in North America and the most visited paid cultural attraction in the Philadelphia area. The property is comprised of 1,100 acres in Kennett Square and 505 acres in New Castle County, DE. This provides for hundreds of acres for guests to traverse complete with lush, formal gardens, a grand Conservatory, open meadows, fountain, and plant collections known around the globe, and vistas evoking the sensibility and aesthetic of the beautiful Brandywine Valley.
Longwood is an active public garden and a significant economic force in the greater Philadelphia region. Longwood Gardens is recognized as a vital part of the thriving arts and cultural community. With more than 300 full-time and 300 part-time employees, 79 students and seasonal workers, and 550 volunteers in this environment, Longwood Gardens is a dynamic workplace employing a dedicated and passionate workforce in support of its mission. Perhaps most well-known for its Christmas season of 52 days of lights, nostalgia and entertainment, Longwood offers four other glorious seasons to experience nature – Winter Wonder where opposites attract combining winter landscapes and Conservatory displays; Spring Blooms where Mother Nature begins her rebirth and hundreds of thousands of bulbs spring to life; Festival of Fountains where North America’s most important fountain collection takes center stage; and Chrysanthemum Festival where the artistry of horticulture truly shines inside the Conservatory. While the visual and horticultural arts are a mainstay of the Gardens, its performing arts programming is dynamic and ever-changing as well with year-round concerts and performances in the most unique of settings.
Currently, Longwood is in the midst of their most ambitious expansion in a century to further the Gardens’ mission of sharing beauty with the world. Longwood Reimagined: A New Garden Experience is a sweeping reimagination of 17 acres of the conservatory and grounds. Opening in fall 2024, the $250 million project features stunning new buildings, including a 32,000 square foot crystalline glass house that seemingly floats on water, state-of-the-art education and administration facilities, a dynamic new restaurant and event space, and inviting new indoor and outdoor gardens.
Employer’s EEO and DEI Statements
Longwood Gardens is committed to nurturing a diverse and inclusive environment that celebrates the complexities and differences of all living things. We welcome and respect diverse backgrounds, life experiences, and perspectives. Diversity creates a more beautiful world, sparks innovation, and unites us.
Longwood Gardens is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that diversity, equality, and inclusion strengthen our institution and the world around us.
SMR does not list all of our recruitment projects on our website. Login and create a profile. Register so we can contact you when we are working on additional searches. Sign Up for job announcements specific to the region of the world you are interested in.